Onyx is closely related to marble, a metamorphic stone. Onyx
is translucent and extremely variable in color and pattern.
A few common uses are:
- Low traffic areas
- Shower surrounds
- Vanity tops
- Decorative back splashes
- Fireplace surrounds
- Accent walls, while back-lit
- Horizontal or vertical panels or partitions
Benefits of Onyx are:
- No two pieces are exactly alike
- Colors range from gold and amber to orange,
creamy whites, reds, grays, browns and deep green color variations.
- Natural translucence allows colors to be
enhanced through use of backlight
- Can be honed or polished
Caution Onyx is soft and porous. The nature of this stone
makes it susceptible to etching, scratching, and staining even after proper
sealing. If used in a wet area stone should be towel dried or squeegee dry to
prevent staining. Only use mild detergents to clean Onyx surfaces.